Monday, August 27, 2007

Things I Learned this Summer

1) I really like living in my hometown.

2) Therapeutic lying is a riot.

3) My CPE supervisor thinks I'm "enigmatic."

4) That said, I'm still really bad at anything that requires hiding what I think or feel.

5) The ordination exams aren't nearly as intimidating as I had feared.

6) My Preparation Committee knows me better than I think they did.

7) As much as I talk about the need to "preach prophetically," it scares the bejeezus out of me when I do it.

8) 12 hours of travel each way for a 48 hour meeting is no longer exciting and fun.

9) I can live in the same house with someone who annoys the heck out of me, and remain civil.

10) But I do so by making up errands for myself and avoiding going home.

11) Mandolins have two strings for each note, and they're a lot harder on your fingers than a violin.

12) Sometimes, it's refreshing to not see another Presbyterian for days at a time.

13) However, I really love the richness and variety of our Book of Confessions.

14) While the signs say that I'll be cleared to seek an ordained call in March, chances are good that if I were to find a job within my home presbytery, I would be denied membership for my political views.

15) I grieve deeply because of statement #14.

16) But I'm also emotionally ready to take the risks associated with stating it out loud.

Quite the summer, huh?

2 comments:

Sandalstraps said...

Amy,

Have you been playing mandolin this summer, too?

I've been thinking about starting a kind of mando-quartet or something. Interested?

Amy said...

Chris,
Seeing that I've only had the mandolin for a week, and I'm not quite accustomed to the position or the force yet, I'll have to pass on the quartet at this time, but if you want a fiddle I'm there!
Amy